No Chocolate! What?!!!
I saw my mom dishing up ice cream into a bowl and thought "an ice cream night! Hooray! I love ice cream!" Mom took it to the living room and my mouth was watering for my bites of ice cream. I looked up at mom with the sweetest, most loving look possible and mom said "No, Miss Roo. This is chocolate and you can't have chocolate."
What?!!!! But it's ice cream! One of my favorite foods! Who cares about chocolate? I just want ice cream. Come on, mom! But she said, "Miss Roo, I can't let you have any of this. It's just not safe for you!"
"But mom! YOU are eating it!"
So mom explained:
Chocolate has methylxanthines in it. This is caffeine and theobromine. Dogs cannot break down and excrete those substances the way humans can. It poisons a dog's system. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, fevers, muscles to tense up, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, low blood pressure, seizure and even death!
Mom looks at me and lovingly says "I love you Miss Roo and one or two bites of chocolate just isn't worth. I love you to much for that!"
Maybe love is better than chocolate! Well, now I understand. No chocolate but lots of love!